Uses the Drupal Migrate API, which "provides services for migrating data from a source system" to Drupal 8, 9, or 10.
The "source system" can be almost anything:
- an Islandora Legacy system
- a group of scanned images and their metadata inside a CSV file
- a web API
Why use the Migrate API?
- You can (potentially) do everything with configs!
- Leverage contrib module plugins.
- Making plugins for more complex sources and processes is (relatively) simple.
- Updating metadata is as simple as:
drush mim node --update
A Migration Configuration defines an Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process¶
- Source plugins extract data from a source
- Process plugins transform the data
- Destination plugins load the data (create new entities)
We’ve built two tools for you using the Migrate API¶
- Tutorial with a sample migration using some files and a CSV
- Documentation section on migrate_islandora_csv
- A tool to get all your Islandora Legacy content migrated over
- Documentation section on migrate_7x_claw
Recap of migrate_islandora_csv¶
- Everyone understands and knows how to work with CSVs
- It’s a step-by-step walkthrough
- Process Metadata
- Clean up / transform the metadata using processors
- Build Relationships
- Migrations can reference other migrated content or generate new content on the fly
Recap of migrate_7x_claw¶
- Designed to migrate Islandora Legacy data to Islandora.
- All of your datastreams, including the audit trail, are migrated
- Migrate metadata from Solr or any XML datastream
- Migrate_7x_claw is a starting point, meant to be tailored to your metadata
To make migrate_7x_claw work you need¶
- You need credentials to both your Islandora Legacy and Islandora installs.
- Migrate API Knowledge
- The tutorial for migrate_islandora_csv Is still relevant
- Config Sync
- You need to understand Drupal config synchronization. Features knowledge helps too.
- Command Line Skills
- This is best done with shell access and drush
Migrate API demo video¶
Check out this video that demonstrates the Drupal Migrate API migration process: Islandora Webinar: Migrating from Islandora Legacy to Islandora (Nov 21, 2019)